So Conference has really impacted a lot of people most of all my Wife and her Sister for their own protection there names won't be disclosed. But during Conference Service was discussed several times and then some. Will what got me is that last weekend my Sister Inlaw babysitter had to go in for Surgery but Doctors have messed something up further and now his back is even worse than before. So now they can't take the kids for a couple weeks. So now my wife and her Sister are planning a whole weeks of meals for this random family that has willingly taken on my inlaws children. My heart is overwhelmed with joy and excitement because my kids and Nieces and Nephews are learning the meaning and power of service. I remember several winter in Maine and Maryland where my Father and Brother with me included. We would go door to door and Shovel snow off driveways and salt them so people could get out to work or where every they need to go. I'm so proud that my kids are learning such a life lesson by sharing what they have or may not have. One people that really stands out more than anyone else are the Island people of Hawai'i. Never has it been so ingrained to them they would give the shirt of their backs and the food they have just to receive blessing. I want my kids to share and experience the joy's of giving when other' need it most.
For this act I'm greatful that Heavenly Father has given his Son as a gift for us to return to him and to show other his love.
Another act of Service come to me last week on Thursday when someone at work didn't have a lunch and they looked really hungry. My parents took me and the Wife out for Dinner just the four of us. As I looked this employee in the eyes I could till that they need wanted some food. So without any questions asked got up and got a plate and some food on and handed it to them. Even without a thankyou one could tell it was much needed
I remember those days in Maine too. I didn't really think about it at the time, but Dad sure was setting a great example for us back then. Can you imagine the big boss as your work shoveling your drive for you in the morning? I mean, Dad was CO back then and he didn't have to do a thing. But he did - because it's the right thing to do.
ReplyDeleteI too was touched by the messages of Conference. This is something the whole world needs to better appreciate. (Even though I think here are many good people in the world as it is.)
You know the cool thing about service is that it doesn't have to always be a big thing. It can be a phone call, a smile, bringing in your neighbor's trash can, holding the door for someone. You can teach those little ones to think of others before themselves and by doing that they will develop a Christ-like attitude. He always thought of others first and then himself. Great blog Mark!
ReplyDelete